Parent Resources

What if I suspect my child has a disability? 

Other Helpful Information 

What is a Transition Plan?  

Some children need to have a plan to move from one program to another.  This may occur when the child is going from the infant program to the preschool program and from preschool to kindergarten.  It is also important at the high school level when the student is preparing to enter the world of work or when the student is exiting special education.  Transition plans are developed with the parent and the student through the IEP process, and involve other agencies as appropriate, for example, Regional Center, Department of Rehabilitation, etc.

It is required that all special education students have a Transition Plan as stated in IDEA:

  • Beginning no later than the first IEP to be in effect when the child is 16 and updated annually thereafter.
  • Appropriate measurable postsecondary goals based upon age appropriate transition assessments related to training, education, employment, and, where appropriate, independent living skills.
  • The transition services (including courses of study) needed to assist the child in reaching those goals.

What happens when my child leaves special education?  

Students are exited from special education when they no longer meet the eligibility criteria and/or when the IEP Team recommends exit from service and parent agrees or when the student reaches the age of 22.  The student is returned to full participation in the regular school program.  There is usually a period of transition from special education to full general education participation.  Most often this process includes phasing out direct services to consultation between the specialist and the general education program teacher.  Parents are participants in this process as it is carried out through the IEP.

Students may need to remain in special education until they graduate from high school or until the semester of their 22nd birthday.

At the time of exit from high school due to a student’s graduation with a regular high school diploma, certificate of completion, or when he or she reaches the maximum age for eligibility, the parent/guardian will receive a written form, “Summary of the Student’s Academic Achievement and Functional Performance – Part 1 and Part 2.”